Sunday, October 21, 2012

Blueberry Corn Cakes
 
 
A couple summers ago we went College "shopping" in the Pacific Northwest.  This gave us the opportunity to spend some time with our yoga friend, Kristen, in Portland. (Don't even get me started about the amazing vegan food I ate in Portland - OMG!)  One morning we walked down to a lovely breakfast spot and ordered corn cakes.  I have been looking for the perfect corn cake recipe ever since.
 
The perfect recipe was right under my nose (actually up on one of the many shelves filled with cookbooks in my pantry).  Veganomicon is written by two of my all time favorite vegan cooking icons, Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.  I actually want to do one of those "Julie and Julia" things where I make a recipe a day from this cookbook.  It is simply fantastic!
 




Sometimes I really have my shit together and everything gets set out and ready for the actual preparation!
 
 
What I love most about this recipe is that the corn cakes have blueberries scattered about within the pancake which is actually thinner like a fat crepe.  I used blueberries that I bought earlier in the season at the Farmer's Market.  I spend a bit of money on blueberries so that I can wash them, freeze them in gallon bags, and have them all year long. Open the freezer door to bags of fruit not available in the winter - best ever!
 

 
When we bought this house it came with a huge 1980's Chef's Kitchen.  Totally outdated but filled with really fun things like a huge griddle between the 4 burners of the Chambers stove.
 
 
 
Recipe for Blueberry Corn Cakes
(adapted from the Veganomicon cookbook)
 
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal (i have also used corn flour and it was fine)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp canola oil or other mild flavored oil
1 1/4 cup plain soy milk
1/4 cup water (recipe calls for 1/3 cup but I thought the batter was too thin)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 cup blueberries
 
Sift together the dry ingredients.
 
Stir together the rest of the ingredients (excpet blueberries) Stir to combine.  Don't over mix.  Add blueberries.
 
Pour 1/4 cup batter onto an oiled preheated skillet or griddle.  Cook on medium high heat until both sides are golden brown.
 
Personally, I don't think the "cakes" need any additional syrup.  They are sweet and savory and delicious with more fresh fruit on top!
 
I have now served these to my sweet husband, my daughter, my sister-in-law's, two nieces, and my parents.  There were never left overs!
 


 



 

 
 


5 comments:

  1. yay! blogging Laurie! wooo hooo! great post, Laurie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go !! Good start !! I will try these next week for Sunday breakfast !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, those look soooo good. I am going to make them tomorrow. And YES, you are a feisty yoga teacher. I love your teaching style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah you finally got your blog going :) cant wait to read more and more yummy food i can eat!!! it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet antioxidant mini fiber-y goodness and pancakes. I will make these soon as well.

    ReplyDelete