Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fresh Summer Tomato Soup



 Fresh Summer Tomato Soup

I have about 15 tomato plants in my garden this summer.  There are lots and lots of beautiful green tomatoes but nothing is red yet.  Yet.  Soon there may be so many I don't quite know what do to with them!

I've been hankering for a fresh tomato soup and I had my short list at the Farmer's Market on Wednesday - tomatoes and basil.  Ok, ok, I also bought lettuce, cabbage, red bell peppers, corn on the cob, fresh spring onions, peaches, a flat of strawberries and lots of lovely cucumbers!
 I bought several pounds of beautiful red, yellow, and purple tomatoes. 

I used only 7 ingredients in this soup:

fresh organic heirloom tomatoes
fresh basil
garlic
onion
olive oil
salt and pepper


1.  Layer the following in a Vitamix or high speed blender:

---1 yellow onion, quartered
---3 - 9 cloves of garlic (I will use less than 9 next time)
---Several handfuls of fresh basil leaves
---3 - 9 tablespoons olive oil
---Chopped fresh tomatoes, with the skin, piled to the top of the blender container (I actually added a few more after I blended)

2.  Blend until smooth.  Taste and adjust.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

3.  Put this fabulous concoction into a pot and heat slowly for 10 minutes or so.  Absolutely delicious!


Here's the soup in the pan.  You can see the mixture of yellow and red tomatoes.
 The bowl of soup!



We ate it with huge slices of sourdough whole wheat (from the Farmer's Market), baked yams, and a huge green salad.


And if you are interested.....

 Look at the peaches I bought at the Farmer's Market.  They are absolutely amazing!

And I don't spend all my time working out, cooking, and gardening.....

 Here's a messenger bag I made for one of my daughter's best friends.  It was a graduation gift.


It's lined with a delicate polka dot cotton!

Happy eating everyone!  Enjoy the summer bounty!





3 comments:

  1. yum! Musty loves tomato soup more than anything. I keep thinking I will do a whole week of tomato soups and compare them all. :) Maybe I will make this the summer for that project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tomato soup. I was thinking that adding roasted red bell peppers would be an idea.

    The vitamix totally rocked it. It was so great to be able to use the whole tomato even with the skin!

    I can't wait to hear what you might do with tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work... vietnamese food delivery singapore

    ReplyDelete